Sunday, July 31, 2011

I love homemade mac'n'cheese - it is my absolute favorite comfort food. Last night I attempted it myself for the first time, and it turned out GREAT! Now that I have a good base, I'll likely start experimenting with it a little adding this and that, from time to time. Here is the recipe I used after looking online at several different recipes and piecing one together myself.

Mac'n'Cheese

4 cups elbow noodles
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2-1/2 cups milk
2 tsps mustard (you can use dried or prepared)
1 lb cheese, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Cook pasta for about 5 until very firm. Drain. In a small bowl beat egg. In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Don't let it burn. Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour into beaten egg to temper it, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the egg. Whisk until smooth. Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth. Add in cheese and stir to melt. Add salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish and top with extra cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes on 350 degrees farenheit until the top is golden and bubbly. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment